JourneyingJames Has Moved to

August 5, 2010

Snapshots Thursday: Heritage Village, Vigan

As I was browsing my old photos, I saw this:
Calle Crisologo, Heritage Village
This is the most photographed site in Vigan City. You haven't been to Vigan City without taking a walk here (maybe I can compare it with Intramuros). This "calle" (street) would bring us back to the Spanish era with its ancestral houses, cobblestone road, and the transportation during their days, the "kalesa" (horse-drawn carriage).

I got this shot 7 years ago (using our Old 2MP Canon set on Sepia mode).
The past weeks, I was tracing back why I love travel & photography. I learned that I seriously started traveling during college and my passion for exploring places became unstoppable.

Anyway, while doing some research, I learned that their are 5 World Heritage Sites in the Philippines (Thailand has 5; Malaysia has 3; and Singapore none). I have been to all of them except for the Tubbataha Reefs National Park (included in my Bucket List) and Paoay Church. Actually, I have blog about the 2 sites already which you can see here and here.

Side trip:
Vigan Pottery (click image to enlarge)
1. Pagburnayan. "Burnay" or Paso (pots) here are different from what we see in our homes. These are more durable because of the sand/clay used. I can still remember their was a carabao helping the potter in one of his pottery-making. I hope they still do that today.

2. Taste their Special Empanada (buy from the plaza) and take home some "longganisa" for pasalubong. 7 years ago the Vigan Empanada is just PhP20, I think it costs P35 already. 

3.  Hidden Garden. A place of solitude, an escape from the busy Manila streets. Replete with lush collection of "bromeliads, ferns, palms, bamboo and bonsai." There's a coffee shop too. I can still remember Mr. Flores as he toured us on his garden 7 years ago. He was very accommodating and he shared how he created each artwork in his garden. You can take the tricycle and tell the driver to bring you to Brgy.Bulala at Hidden Garden. Website: http://www.hiddengardenvigan.com.ph 

Bantay Belfry
4. Bantay Belfry. Built in 1591, this bellfry stands tall on a hill. Climbing to this would reawrd you the view of Vigan City. It also served as the people's watchtower to alert them against enemies. Just a 15-minute drive from the city proper and is located at Bantay district.


Helpful sites before visiting Vigan:

Vigan is about 9 hours of travel by bus from Manila (reserve your ticket first):
AUTO BUSLaong-laan cor. Dimasalang Sts.
Sampaloc, Manila
Telephone (632) 7436873

FARIñAS TRANSIT
Laong-laan cor. M. dela Fuente Sts.
Sampaloc, Manila
Telephone (632) 7438580 loc. 103 & 105

PARTAS TRANSIT
Aurora Blvd. cor. Bernardo St.
Cubao, Quezon City
Telephone (632) 7257303/7251740

Alternatively, Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines have daily flights to Laoag City, Ilocos Norte which is just a 2-hour bus ride going to Vigan City.



-------------------------------------------------
thanks for reading journeyingjames- my running stories and travel discoveries-- 
let's walk, run, climb, ride, swim and fly. 
You can find me at Facebook and/or follow me on Twitter.